Yield: 20 Portions
White Vinegar 1 cups
Red onion 1 ea.
Lime juice 20 ea.
Chile guajillo, deveined, no seeds 3.5 oz.
Vegetable oil 1 Tbsp.
Pork butt, 1 inch cubes 3.3 lbs.
Orange Juice, fresh 3 cups
Lime Juice, fresh 1 cup
Garlic head, peeled 1 ea.
Achiote paste 2 oz.
Vinegar 1 Cup
- Cut the red onion into fine julienne slices and put in a glass bowl with vinegar. Season with salt as needed, let sit stirring once in a while until service time.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper, and start searing in hot oil, approximately 15 minutes.
- Boil the Guajillo peppers already deveined and seeds taken out for 20 minutes, make sure to place something heavy on top because dried peppers float.
- In the meantime, blend the orange juice, lime juice, with the guajillo peppers, vinegar, garlic, onion, achiote and salt, until you have a homogeneous puree. Pour on top of the seared pork meat in the slow cooker. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid on high, and turn the heat down after 20 minutes. Cook for 4 hours.
- Once its fork tender, turn the slow cooker off and let it rest . Open the slow cooker and separate the meat from the juices, shred the meat, then pour the juices from the pressure cooker on top of the now shredded meat.
- Serve the Conchita with the fine julienne red onion slices that have been marinating in the lime juice and vinegar.